The Department invites applications from qualified, enthusiastic candidates, both from the UK and abroad, to be part of our thriving local community.
Research candidates will be performing research in one of our departmental research groups. Thus visit the research group sites to find out which research area best matches your interests, and write your proposal based on this match. On these sites, you can find not only the research areas, but also the names of the academics who are interested in it. Direct contact to your potential supervisor prior to the application is highly encouraged.
Important local guidance on how to apply for a research degree in Computer Science (PDF) is available (please read it carefully to increase your chance of a successful application). This explains to you how to write (or not write) your research proposal, which is one of the most important pieces of your application.
We normally only consider applications from candidates who are in possession of a good BSc Honours degree (preferably at least a 2:1 or equivalent) and who preferably have (or are about to be awarded) a Masters degree.
You can fill in the MPhil/PhD and MSc by research application form at: http://www.warwick.ac.uk/go/pgapply To ensure a smooth and speedy process, please fill in all information required. Please don't forget to add the name of the potential supervisor, if you have already contacted him/her.
Further information about the research carried out by postgraduate students can be found in the departmental research pages and the list of talks presented by the students during the Postgraduate Colloquium. Further information on postgraduate study is available from the University's web site.
There is no official deadline for applications, although there are specific deadlines for anyone thinking of applying for a Warwick Postgraduate Fellowship and for UK or Overseas candidates who apply for external funding, you need to comply with the deadlines set by your funding body (see more information below).
Sources of Funding
The Department has a small number of Computer Science Research Studentships which are awarded on a research group basis and therefore are dependent on availability and merit. They are very competitive and usually the decision to award them is made at the end of the summer term. Applicants are eligible to apply for a studentship when they have received an offer for an MSc or MPhil/PhD place in Computer Science. Watch the departmental and group pages for announcements.
For an application form and full details on Warwick Postgraduate Research Fellowship (WPRS), or Chancellor's Scholarships as they are now called, for students applying for MPhil/PhD courses, please see: http://go.warwick.ac.uk/academicoffice/postgraduate/ and http://go.warwick.ac.uk/services/academicoffice/ourservices/gsp/scholarship/wprs/ . The deadline for applications to be received by the Graduate School Office is the end of January.
Information on scholarships and funding for International Students can also be found on the International Office website.
Current Research Students and their Work
- Links to current research students of the department are available and show their current research activites (and beyond).
- Research reports of students and staff are available here.
- departmental research groups
Information For New Students
- For a welcome message from the University's Vice Chancellor, click here.
- October 2012, Student Careers and Skills will be launching the Postgraduate Researcher Enterprise Programme, which can be found here http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/scs/pgr/enterprise.
- Information on current fees for home and o'seas research students is available on the university site for PG information. Please note that Computer Science appears under Sciences, and that band B applies to Computer Science.
- For students requiring a visa, new regulations are in place. You will need a Confirmation of Acceptance of Study, which is bound to a given university. Read more on the International Office Immigration Advice page.
- PG relevant Warwick sites in short:
- Other departments within the University offer postgraduate programs that may be of interest: