PhD students |
Phd/ MSc by Research generic info|
Info about my countr(ies) |
Dr. Alexandra I. CRISTEA
Associate Professor (Reader)
Chair, Graduate Studies Committee of the Faculty of Science
Director of Postgraduate Research
Founder and Coordinator of the IAS Group
Department of Computer Science, University of Warwick
Semantic & Social Web, User Analytics, Adaptive Systems, Adaptive Hypermedia, User Modeling, Education, AI, Knowledge Computing, Neural Networks
A[Dot]I[Dot]Cristea[At]warwick.ac.uk or acristea[At]dcs.warwick.ac.uk
- The 3rd International Conference on Information and Education Innovations coming up in London ( ICIEI 2018): submission deadline 15th March; main conference June 30- 2 July.
- Please find here my most recent ACM Hypertext'17 tutorial talk.
- Book Chapters on Higher Education for All coming up, based on: From Challenges to Novel Technology-enhanced Solutions Researcher Links Workshop , March 20-24, 2017, Maceio, Brazil.
In 2006 I came to Warwick from the Eindhoven University of Technology, with which I have been affiliated for 5 years, working in the area of Adaptive Hypermedia, and especially authoring thereof, as well as Semantic Web technology. Previously, I have been affiliated with the University of Electro-Communications, for 6 years, where I was working on Neural Networks and Artificial Intelligence technologies applied in Education and Distance Learning. I started my academic career at the University
PHD RESEARCH and MSC BY RESEARCH: I am interested in supervising research on intelligent techniques, adaptive hypermedia, information retrieval applied on semantic web, social web and education. In this context, especially research on adaptation languages and authoring is currently of interest. See what my PhD students are/ have been doing, as well as my current projects and papers.
SHORT TERM PROJECTS (for Warwick students only): if you want to perform a project in your third year, or a group project in your fourth year, or a Master project during your Taught Master, related to one of my projects (see below)send me an email. To give you some ideas, here are some (old!) sample projects .
Politehnica of Bucharest, where I was working on parallelization of Neural Networks. Strange as it may seem, all these subjects are related, they still interest me, and I am happy to continue working on integrating them.
Research & Projects, in reverse chronological order:
- Research papers
- PhD students
- Researcher Links Workshop , March 20-24, 2017, Maceio, Brazil
- an interesting project related to Predicting Elections (2015-16)
- I am leading the Newton funded project 'Higher Education For All: International Workshop on Social, Semantic, Adaptive and Gamification techniques and technologies for Distance Learning' (December 2015 - March 2017)
- I am leading the Brazil Partnership Fund Santander 'Education for All: sustainable personalised inclusive distance learning for boosting the chanches of disadvantaged groups to pass the challenging public open examination ('vestibular') for admission into prestigious universities' (January 2015 - December 2017)
- I am member in the EU Erasmus Construit project (October 2014 - August 2017)
- I was co-PI in the
Hereward project (October 2013 - August 2015), where I am mostly interested in finding the needs of adaptation and personalisation for disabled school children. This project also appeared on the BBC website.
- I have led WP2, Weblog Structure and Semantics of the Blogforever project , ( began 1st of March 2011 and concluded on the 31st of August 2013; ICT No. 269963) was funded by the European Commission under Framework Programme 7 (FP7) ICT Programme
- I have led WP3 on authoring of adaptive e-learning and hypermedia environment in GRAPPLE EU FP7 STREP project(1/02/2008-30/01/2011) and a local site here .
- Socrates/Minerva: ALS: Adaptive Learning Spaces (1/10/2006-30/04/2009) that I have been leading and a local site here ; see also a little ALS video
- PROLEARN (1/01/2007-31/12/2007): a local site and The Prolearn Network of Excellence
- I was leading the ADAPT EU Socrates/Minerva project (1/10/2002 - 30/04/2005)
- adaptive authoring of
online (My Online Teacher; pronounced 'moh', like the French word for
'word;); download current version here or here
- papers here
; in more details:
- I was also somewhat involved in the AHA! system
- current download
- some reference papers
on previous versions of AHA: 2000
(1) ; 2000 (2) ; 2000 (3) ; 1998 (1) ; 1998 (2) ;
- the AHA system is
loosely based on the AHAM
reference model for adaptive hypermedia (see also newer version '99 )
- the new AHA
developments are towards generic (i.e., application independent)
and open (i.e., allowing external information sources) adaptive
functionality; also, richer UM should be allowed (for this, the W3C standard on RDF will be used)
- other separate User
Modelling (UM), Distance Education & Learning research
Tracks, Workshops organized:
· PhD thesis ( I did my thesis in Japan, at
the University of
Electro-Communications in Toyko, Graduate School of Information
of AI & Knowledge Computing, under the supervision of professor Toshio
· Older research:Stock
Exchange Forecasting with the help of Neural Networks; Generalities
about my countr(ies):
I actually am Romanian, Dutch and English now !!!
Info in The Netherlands, the land under the sea
Some information about my country, Romania
Some information on the German highschool Bucharest (my
Some information on the Computer Science Department of the University "Politehnica" of Bucharest,
to which I used to belong
Romanian press (most of
it in Romanian language- but not all !!)
Department of Computer Science, Room 336
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL, UK
tel.: direct:(+44) 24 765 73774; secretary: (+44) 24 7652 3668
fax: +44 24 7657 3024